At Christmas, we celebrate the birth of Jesus. It is a time of celebration with family and friends. It is a time of special joy in the Lord.
Prior to Jesus’ birth, God sent His angel Gabriel to Zechariah, whose wife Elizabeth gave birth to John the baptist.
13Your wife, Elisheva [Elizabeth], will bear you a son, and you shall call his name Yochanan [John]. 14 You will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. 15 For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and he will drink no wine nor strong drink. He will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb. 16 He will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children(Malachi 4:6),’ and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to prepare a people prepared for the Lord.” Luke 1
Then, God sent His angel Gabriel to Mary to reveal her upcoming birth of Jesus.
26 Now in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married toa man whose name was Joseph, of David’s house. The virgin’s name was Miriam [Mary]. 28 Having come in, the angel said to her,“Rejoice, you highly favored one! The Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women!”
29 But when she saw him, she was greatly troubled at the saying, and considered what kind of salutation this might be. 30 The angel said to her, “Don’t be afraid, Miriam, for you have found favor with God. 31 Behold, you will conceive in your womb and give birth to a son, and shall name him ‘Yeshua.’ 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever. There will be no end to his Kingdom.” 34 Miriam said to the angel, “How can this be, seeing I am a virgin?” 35 The angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore also the holy one who is born from you will be called the Son of God. 36 Behold, Elisheva [Elizabeth] your relative also has conceived a son in her old age; and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren. 37 For nothing spoken by God is impossible.”
38 Miriam said, “Behold, the servant of the Lord; let it be done to me according to your word.”
Then the angel departed from her. Luke 1
God sent an angel to to Joseph in a dream, assuring him ” that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.”
18 Now the birth of Yeshua the Messiah was like this: After his mother,Miriam [Mary], was engaged to Joseph, before they came together, she was found pregnant by the Holy Spirit. 19 Joseph, her husband, being a righteous man, and not willing to make her a public example,intended to put her away secretly. 20 But when he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, don’t be afraid to take to yourself Miriam as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 She shall give birth to a son. You shall name him Yeshua, for it is he who shall save his people from their sins.”
22Now all this has happened that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying,
• 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child,
• and shall give birth to a son.
• They shall call his name Immanuel,”
• which is, being interpreted, “God with us.”[Isaiah 7:10-16]
24Joseph arose from his sleep, and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took his wife to himself; 25 and didn’t know her sexually until she had given birth to her firstborn son. He named him Yeshua. Matthew 1 (Micah 5:1-6; Luke 2:1-7)
• “Yeshua” means “Salvation”. Messiah (Hebrew) and Christ (Greek) both mean “Anointed One”
Before Jesus’ birth, Mary and Elizabeth get together and rejoice in the Lord.
39 Miriam [Mary] arose in those days and went into the hill country with haste,into a city of Judah, 40 and entered into the house of Zechariah and greeted Elisheva [Elizabeth]. 41 When Elisheva heard Miriam’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb; and Elisheva was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 She called out with a loud voice and said, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43 Why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 For behold, when the voice of your greeting came into my ears, the baby leaped in my womb for joy! 45 Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of the things which have been spoken to her from the Lord!”
46 Miriam said,
• “My soul magnifies the Lord.
• 47 My spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior,
• 48 for he has looked at the humble state of his servant.
• For behold, from now on, all generations will call me blessed.
• 49 For he who is mighty has done great things for me.
• Holy is his name.
• 50 His mercy is for generations and generations on those who fear him.
• 51 He has shown strength with his arm.
• He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
• 52 He has put down princes from their thrones,
• and has exalted the lowly.
• 53 He has filled the hungry with good things.
• He has sent the rich away empty.
• 54 He has given help to Israel, his servant, that he might remember mercy,
• 55 as he spoke to our fathers,
• to Abraham and his offspring forever.” Luke 1
God introduced Jesus with a show of His glory to shepherds watching their flocks at night. The glory of God lit up the sky around them, and they were sore afraid. Their instinct was to run and hide. But, God chose these humble shepherds to announce the birth of Jesus.
8 There were shepherds in the same country staying in the field, and keeping watch by night over their flock. 9 Behold, an angel of the Lord stood by them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 The angel said to them, “Don’t be afraid,for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be to all the people. 11 For there is born to you today, in David’s city, a Savior, who is Messiah the Lord. 12 This is the sign toyou: you will find a baby wrapped in strips of cloth, lying in a feeding trough.” 13 Suddenly, there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army praising God, and saying,
• 14 “Glory to God in the highest,
• on earth peace, good will toward men.”
15 When the angels went away from them into the sky, the shepherds said toone another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem, now, and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us.” 16 They came with haste, and found both Miriam and Joseph, and the baby was lying in the feeding trough. 17 When they saw it, they publicized widely the saying which was spoken to them about this child. 18 All who heard it wondered at the things which were spoken to them by the shepherds. 19 But Miriam kept all these sayings, pondering them in her heart. 20 The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, just as it was told them. Luke 2
That was a glorious revelation of God given to these humble shepherds. It was also a revelation that Jesus obeyed God by humbling Himself as a man. To human eyes, Jesus began His life on this earth as a nobody from nowhere born in the manger of as table. But, God reveled His glory.
• 5 Have this in your mind, which was also in Messiah Yeshua,
• 6 who, existing in the form of God,
• didn’t consider equality with God
• a thing to be grasped,
• 7 but emptied himself,
• taking the form of a servant,
• being made in the likeness of men.
• 8 And being found in human form,
• he humbled himself, becoming obedient
• to the point of death,
• yes, the death of the cross.
• 9 Therefore God also highly exalted him,
• and gave to him the name
• which is above every name,
• 10 that at the name of Yeshua
• every knee should bow,
• of those in heaven, those on earth,
• and those under the earth,
• 11 and that every tongue should confess
• that Yeshua the Messiah is Lord,
• to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 2